Waiter, there's a fly in my soup
Since rat hair and insects in the processed food we eat is pretty much inevitable, The American Food and Drug Administration was required to determine how much crap was too much. Here are some standards fit for for human consumption:
1. In canned spinach: 2 or more caterpillars whose lenth is not more than 24 mm per 24 pounds of spinach.
2. In canned tomatoes: 2 or more maggots or 10 or more fly eggs in 500 grams
3. In ginger: 3 or more milligrams of mamal feces per pound
4. In ground oregano: 1,250 or more insect parts in 10 grams
5. In pasta products: 225 insect parts in more than 225 grams
I will add one last item to close things up…wheat…9 milligrams of rat feces in a kilogram. I was going comment on how half the cereals out there tast like s*#t, but that would be a bit too easy now, wouldn’t it? Somehow the “revelations” in the film, Supersize Me don’t seem so bad any more.