Bionic Buddha is a website dedicated to content for multimedia devices. The Victory5 TV network headlines shows such as 'Distortions' (an anecdotal music trivia show), 'Mostly Weird News' (odd but weird news stories from around the world), 'Rewired'(unique website reviews), films shorts and more. These shows are typically under 3 minutes in length and customized for your PDA, mobile, cell, ipod or home fun viewing.


Get my banner code or create your own banner
Get my banner code or create your own banner

Friday, December 08, 2006

Top 5 Game Shows of All Time

The Price Is Right

Who can forget Plinko, contestant’s row, and of course the Showcase Showdown? Bob Barker, in his prime could have easily run for congress and won. "Oh, and by the way, you’ve just won a new car"!

Jeopardy!

I’ll take Game Show trivia for for $500, Alex. That’s what makes “Jeopardy!” such a treasure. I perosnally think that Ken Jennings incredible 74-game winning streak was a conspiracy to win back some of the game show marketshare from Regis...but it sure worked. He took home over $3 million in total prizes and the country was glued to the set.

Let's Make a Deal

I don’t care how much I need a new dining room table, I’m not dressing up as a chicken on national television. It could be a grand piano or a box of macaroni and cheese. And who could resist a "Monty Hual"?

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?

“Do you want to use a lifeline?,” “Should we ask the audience?,” “Is that your final answer?” When the $1 million was won the first time, it made the front page of USA Today. Of course, ABC, began to show too many episodes and the game soon lost its appeal...but it did have a good run.

Press Your Luck

"Big Money. No Whammies!" The phrase became a mantra for a generation (OK that might be a bit ambitious); but it was good entertainment value. The game show actaully was responsible for launching the career of day time talk show host Jenny Jones. It also introduced Michael Larson, a self-described unemployed ice cream truck driver who became famous for using a VCR to beat the network and show producers. Larson discovered that the presumed random patterns of the game board were not random; instead, they lit up in one of only five preset patterns. Larson identified two spaces on the gameboard where the Whammy would never appear and which always contained money plus a free spin, allowing him to increase his score and also retain control. Larson was able to memorize the sequences to help him stop the board where and when he wanted. On the single game in which he appeared, Larson hit a Whammy on his first spin, but then spun 45 times without hitting a Whammy, earning a total of $110,237. His total was a record for a single appearance on a daytime network game show up to that time. Stick that in your pipe, Bob Barker!!


9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't argue with your five, as you've made me highly nostalgic for playing sick and staying home from school, but where's the love for Double Dare? "I'd like to take the physcial challenge" isn't a major part of my vocabulary, but I wish it were. By the way, where'd they get all of the creamed corn and baked beans for the pit at the bottom of the slide? What a wonderful symbol for American wastefulness -- I'm sure screenshots from the show would be put up in a contemporary arts museum

9:14 PM

 
Blogger Nicki said...

Holy crap!! I saw the title and thought, "What was that show I REALLY liked called? Oh well - they'll never mention it." Press Your Luck ROCKED!!

9:32 PM

 
Blogger mist1 said...

I never liked The Price is Right. I would have liked it more contestants had to guess the price of shoes.

11:21 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always hated that Big Money phrase when watching Wheel of Fortune. It drove me up the wall. "Come on, big money. Big money." Ugh! The wheel does NOT hear you!

4:10 PM

 
Blogger Nicki said...

ZOMG!! I'm TOTALLY going to go on that website and earn big $$$!!! I can't believe I've stumbled on to such an opportunity!!

7:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does who wants to be a millionaire work without Chris Tarrent?

I do like jepordy.

My personal fav was the Crystal Maze but I don't think they have that outside the UK

3:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really great five. My personal favorite these days is Lingo (because I am a nerd and who doesn't love Chuck) but I spent many an hour wathcing Press Your Luck while home from school or on summer vacation. I loved Whammies!!!I also really loved double dare. Good call Steiny!!!

2:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was on "Win Ben Stein's Money" and if you gave your answer in the form of a question, they made you wear a dunce cap.

There are some Japanese game shows that are just wacked. Slave Hubby lived there for a few years and said you wouldn't believe it.

11:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE three of your top five. I loved watching Price is Right. It made staying home sick from school worth the vomit and fever. I always watched jeopardy with my boyfriend or friends as we each tried to answer the question the fastest and see who was right. (we kept our own score, very fun) and I loved watching Who Wants To Be A Millionare. But honestly, who doesn't want to be a millionare?

12:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Listed on BlogShares