Bionic Buddha is a website dedicated to content for multimedia devices. The Victory5 TV network headlines shows such as 'Distortions' (an anecdotal music trivia show), 'Mostly Weird News' (odd but weird news stories from around the world), 'Rewired'(unique website reviews), films shorts and more. These shows are typically under 3 minutes in length and customized for your PDA, mobile, cell, ipod or home fun viewing.


Get my banner code or create your own banner
Get my banner code or create your own banner

Sunday, March 04, 2007

How much do I have to pay you for that crap?


I had my first expereince at a "real life" auction the other day and it was quite revealing. Upon first observation, I couldn't help but notice the particpants did not appear to be highly intelligent (although at first I was wondering if this was an ellaborate scheme to confuse the other bidders, in a kind of 'reverse psychology' behavioural finance emotive). Sadly, this did not seem to be the case when it became evident that one of the particpants did not realize the condition of sale policy was not quite as liberal as Walmart. I began to actually wonder how some of these people would find their way home...unless they all travelled together in one of the short busses.

It is difficult to compete in a quest to find a deal at an auction, when clearly the participants' access to capital, surpasses the value of the merchandise for sale as well as the collective brainpower of the particpants. Some people will buy anything at almost any price, in order to be the "winning" bidder. I could not believe that one individual walked away as the proud owner of a used "Tickle Me Elmo" doll.

The best deals of the night appeared to be the bulk purchase of a number of slightly flawed or used women's garments for less than 10 bucks total. Another shrewd bargain hunter walked away the proud owner of more 2007 desktop calendars than a stationary store, for a total of 5 dollars. The irony was that a senior member of the bionic buddha production squad felt he was getting a deal when he had bought 3 calendars for 3 dollars. At the end of the night, we had fun, which alone is worth more than the cost of the calendars. It was not the first time we have been outsmarted by a group of dullards...next time perhaps we should take the example from the photo above, just to level the playing field.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once bought an awesome Jack Daniels foam finger from eBay for only $10 plus shipping...going to auctions is always a blast.

3:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to one of those auctions once. I've never seen people so excited about buying "slightly used" bed linens. G-ROSS!!

5:43 PM

 
Blogger Nicki said...

My girlfriend goes to those. Talks about getting dining room tables for $6. That scares me.

6:12 PM

 
Blogger ShadowFalcon said...

Being an Oscar the grouch fan I never understood the big deal about the tickle me elmo then I played with one. Now I'm kicking myself

9:38 AM

 
Blogger Foofa said...

I have never been to a live auction but was a huge fan of Ebay for a long time. Then I got poor ad a bunch of stuff that was not as good as the picture. I did get some great deals though.

10:35 AM

 
Blogger Nicki said...

Christ, I just bought something off eBay. It was KINDA what I wanted, but not the EXACT one I wanted. Then I found out I could buy EXACTLY what I wanted on buy.com and use google checkout to save $10. I was freaking pissed.

7:23 PM

 
Blogger stereofish said...

I just bought a home and was able to save a lot of money off the bat by going to liquidation stores and auctions. New stuff at a quarter of the price. You can't argue with that.
Dope.

9:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Listed on BlogShares